Unable to read audio CDs

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Jan 30 19:55:34 UTC 2007

Ever since upgrading my home workstation to FC6 (it's been a while now), I
have been unable to read audio CDs, with either grip, the graphical CD
player, xmms w/the CD player plugin or Nautilus.  (Grip is the main thing
I need it for; the others were just testing.)  I can mount and read
ISO9660 CDs and DVDs just fine and I can burn just fine.  The kernel logs

 kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

I have the usual kernel modules loaded:

ide_cd                 42337  2
cdrom                  38625  1 ide_cd

The drive is identified as: AOPEN DUW1616/ARR, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive.
The only thing slightly funny about this is that my CD/DVD drive is the
slave on a single PATA/IDE bus, with my hard drive being the master
(newfangled motherboards are shipping with only 1 PATA/IDE channel,
expecting people to use SATA for drives).  I cannot imagine that should be
an issue, because the device works normally with ISO disks.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Wil