OT: dual-core or 64 bit?

mindwave at cfl.rr.com mindwave at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 31 13:16:21 UTC 2007

i just upgraded this weekend.

i went from an AMD 3GHZ64 to an Intel Duo Core 6300.

The difference in performence is HUGE. This is the first Intel chip I have owned since i ripped the 8088 out and replaced it with a Nec V20 (hey a jump from 4.77Mhz to 6Mhz!)

The SOLE reason i went intel is that the distro I use for my daily desktop duties is Xandros, and my mobile distro ( on a flash key) is Mandriva. BOTH those distros have reported issues with the AM2.

My Fedora box will get an upgrade in all this, but will stay AMD. But you may want to snoop around in your particular daily distro's and find out if anyone has had issues wuth either.

I know that the majority of the issues w/ Xandros and Mandriva have come from the fact that they see these CPU's as dual prcessor chipsets and keep waiting for the 2nd cpu to start up.

I'm SURE this will be addressed shortly, but I couldnt wait.