Serial camera + RS232 > USB adapter

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 31 15:47:52 UTC 2007

Colin J Thomson - G6AVK wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have acquired a RS232 to USB adapter, which is working well with FC6 (tested
> with GPS) briefly.
> My question is I have a very old Serial port digital camera that digiKam
> refuses to work with, Its listed but I have never managed to get it to work. I
> had to resort to using the M$ software in Wine.
>
> I wonder if it would be possible to use the USB>Serial adapter somehow,
> googleing around has yet to shed any information on this.
>
> Cheers
> Colin
One thing to be careful about when using USB to RS232 adapters is that
most of the ones I have seen do not support the status/control lines.
This can cause problems with devices that use hardware handshaking, or
use the status lines for device detection. For example, you can not
control a "dumb" UPS. You may have problems using a modem on them. If
the camera or software depends on them, then it will also fail.

Mikkel