usb hd

aragonx at dcsnow.com aragonx at dcsnow.com
Wed Jan 31 20:25:25 UTC 2007

>   I plugged in an old hard drive, via usb. I was able to format the
> drive (fat32, don't ask)- that's as far as I can go with it though... I
> click on the icon and I'm told I don't have enough privilege to mount
> the drive. Doh! Another weird thing I've noticed- not sure if it
> matters. I had to set jumpers at cable select, instead of as master,
> just so the crazy thing can even been 'seen' by FC. I'm using FC5, but
> plan on using the set up with 6 (my laptop) and Windows.

Some more information about your machine might help.  Like, is this SATA
OR IDE?  Are you logged in as root?  Does the partition appear if you do
an fdisk -l?

I can understand you not being able to set the drive as master if it is
the only drive on the channel.  Some drives require a 2nd drive on the
channel to be master.  Otherwise you can just not have any jumper at all
and it will default to master (similar but not the same as cable select).

believed to be clean.