Difference between the desktop and the server installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jan 31 22:47:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 23:18 +0100, Liloulinx wrote:
> Hi
> I want to know if when we upgrade the desktop (client) version of some
> distribution (like fedora) to its server version is equivalent to install
> directly this server version?

There really isn't a difference between desktop and server in Fedora.
It rather depends on what you install.

> My question relates mainly these 2 points: 1) Security, 2) The capacity of
> the machine to answer several web requests.

If you don't install the desktop stuff (X, Gnome, KDE, etc.) and install
the various server components, then you've got a server instead of a
desktop.  You could install everything, of course.  If you change the
initdefault line in /etc/inittab from:

	id:5:initdefault:

	id:3:initdefault:

then the system will boot up to command line mode (NOT GUI mode) and
it'll behave like 90% of the servers out there, but you have the ability
to go to full GUI mode when you want by doing:

	telinit 5

as the root user.

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -