problems with install

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 15 12:01:27 UTC 2007

Schumacher, Paul wrote:

> Should I remove the second "empty" partition?

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing,
but if you want to install Linux on a partition,
it should be of type Linux (hex code 83) not NTFS, as you had.
[You can change it with fdisk.]

I imagine if the Linux installer sees a partition of type NTFS
it assumes (reasonably enough) that the partition contains
valuable Windows data, and leaves it undisturbed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366