Fedora 7 kickstart problem with rebuilt Everything image

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Sat Jul 21 06:14:31 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
> Howard Wilkinson wrote:
>> First the version of yum available in updates currently is
>> incompatible with the version of anaconda. The problem is that this
>> version of yum does not create the headers directory and anaconda
>> assumes it will exist.
>>
>>    anaconda-11.2.0.66-1.i386.rpm
>>    yum-3.2.1-1.fc7
> Which headers directory ? {the dvd/everything repo doesn't have such a
> folder}
The headers directory is populated (referenced?) by anaconda during a
kickstart only and is expected to have been created by yum, not sure
what it is used for but I found an obscure references to this in one of
the bulletin boards and tested it out. I have not tried the development
combination yet as this requires some serious rebuilding in our environment.

>> To get round this we have reverted to yum-3.2.0-1.fc7.noarch.rpm for
>> now but will probably try out the development releases of anaconda
>> and yum next week.
> It's very close {< week?} to freeze time for next fedora, if this an
> issue, prompt bugzilla check/report would be good.
Where do I put this some more pointers would be helpful?

>> More worrying is a problem with dependencies in building the kernel
>> initrd images. The newly built Everything regime has the latest
>> kernel - kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 - as available from updates.
> I don't think this is correct:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/
>
> kernel*-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.*.rpm
>
> However, if you have inserted the newer kernel yourself, or are making
> updates repo available during the install then that is different.
I have taken the Everything build and replaced the packages in the image
with those available in updates from a week ago (or thereabouts) and
then rebuilt the images so I can kickstart directly from it. We use NFS
based builds so additional repositories are a problem. Same issue arises
with the older kernel if I rebuild the image so the pkgorder is not
running with enough arguments I think (worked this out last night) now
need to confirm that I can force mdadm to be loaded earlier.

> In the kickstart.cfg can you request particular version install:
> kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.*.rpm ?
I already forced the new kernel by removing the old one and allowing the
new one to be the only one in the set.

> This issue might also be checked/reported in bugzilla. Developers
> expected that people might want to enable repos during install, but
> perhaps had not considered the updates repo being active, and hence
> installing only the updated kernel/yum. IMHO ideally, I would want the
> release kernel and the latest released update kernel installed. If you
> use this process without the updates repo active, does it work ?
>
>> But when the kickstart install runs the mkinitrd cannot find
>> /sbin/mdadm as the mdadm package is not a dependency of the kernel
>> (and should not be for all builds but ....[1]) This has the effect of
>> allowing the build to complete but when the system reboots LVM cannot
>> find the logical volume groups because the raid has not started.
>>
>>    /We build our systems with mirrored boot partitions on /dev/md0 and
>>    mirrored /dev/md1 on the remainder of the disc with logical volumes
>>    on this portion of the disc including the root partition. Hence the
>>    problem above.[1]/
>>
>> To get round this we are rebuilding the kernel to require the mdadm
>> package - but this is really not what we should be doing. Somewhere
>> in the RPM, YUM, Anaconda, regime we need to be able to specify that
>> mdadm (and lvm2) needs to be installed prior to the kernel
>> installation, only for our particular configurations not in general.
>> Any ideas anybody?
> I tried the soft raid /boot before in fc5 and found it no go. From
> memory there was work planned for either f7 or f8 to make this
> possible. Perhaps checkout http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2ToDo
We have had this configuration working since FC4 and build all of our
systems this way!

> DaveT.

SO how do I feed package order data into the buildinstallimage script -
this may fix the second problem.

Howard

--

Howard Wilkinson