DHCP and DNS

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sun Jul 1 20:53:43 UTC 2007

El Domingo, 1 de Julio de 2007 20:08, Michael H. Semcheski escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a laptop with wireless and wired networking.  I'm using
> NetworkManager.  Couldn't be happier with it, except for one thing.
>
> When I right click on the NetworkManager icon, and select "Connection
> Information", everything seems OK.  Correct IP and DNS information.
>
> However, the only way I can get DNS to work is to go into
> system-config-network, and set the primary DNS there.
>
> I want the computer to use the DNS server that the DHCP server tells
> it, rather than enter it myself.  Any thoughts?

Hi Michael.

What happen if you set up the dns in the /etc/resolv.conf?

I guess that maybe your problem is that the DCHP server is overwritting your
resolv.conf, you might want to take a look at
the: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file and look at the line:

PEERDNS maybe you should try to set it to no:
PEERDNS=no

Cheers
Manuel
--