Upgrading from 6 to 7

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 2 11:16:15 UTC 2007

Brian wrote:
> I upgraded from FC6 to 7 and did have a problem when updating the F7
> installation via yum. I included the error message below. I ended up
> performing a fresh install of F7. Aside from that, F7 has been great so
> far. I'm eager to see how MythTV and Firewire work on this system as
> I've heard some (negative) remarks about the Firewire stack. We'll see.
>
> Transaction Check Error:
> file /sbin/mkinitrd from install of mkinitrd-6.0.9-7.1 conflicts with
> file from package mkinitrd-5.1.19.0.3-1

I believe I had that message regarding mkinitrd so I just upgraded
mkinitrd to get past that error. I was using yum to upgrade. If you were
using the installer, I am not sure if you could have used rpm to upgrade
the related files before running the installer to upgrade the system.

It sounds like a bug in the installer. There should only be one version,
but it sounds like it wants to install vs. upgrade the package with
large group of updated packages and install for the kernel. The bug
seems to be yum related which the installer uses now. (with pros and
cons from previous update mechanisms.)

Jim
--
Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.
		-- Frank Hubbard