is it safe to use non-fedora specific kernel on fedora?

Pawel paulino90 at tenbit.pl
Mon Jul 2 11:35:52 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day writes:
 > On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Pawel wrote:
 >
 > > Hallo Group Members.
 > >
 > > I am going to test "the generic" kernel+the latest patch, not the
 > > one provided in rpm with fedora.
 >
 > what do you mean by "+the latest patch"?

For example for kernel 2.6.22, by saying "the latest patch" I mean:
2.6.22-rc7

 > > I have the following questions related to that: SHould I expect any
 > > problems when using this kernel on fedora? Does fedora add some
 > > features to fedora specific kernel contained in rpm package?
 >
 > i regularly run a kernel on my fedora systems that's built straight
 > from the absolutely latest "git pull" of the kernel repository.  it
 > doesn't get any more bleeding edge than that.

I asked, because when trying to compile kernel from src.rpm I noticed that there is one patch with "fedora" string in its name, so I wondered why fedora patches kernels with its own patches instead of introducing changes to kernel.org.