DHCP and DNS

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Jul 2 16:43:01 UTC 2007

bruce wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Hi. As you've by now realized/found out, using a VPN client can often wreck
> havoc with your system/dns/ip addresses. In fact, you might actually run
> into an issue where you have device conflicts if you happen to have staticly
> allocated ip addresses in your network, and you hook to a vpn setup that has
> used the same subclass...
>
> gotta be careful these days!!

The new openvpn client associated with NetworkManager seems to work like
a charm for many of us at the office.  Up until F7 we were forced to use
the cisco provided Linux client module.

Now, we can one click NetWorkmanager and get connected to the office.

Other benefits:

Local network is still active!
Passwords stored in local key ring.
No need to rebuild a kernel module every kernel upgrade.
Much kinder to local config files.

Besides all of that, it is just plain crazy slick!

It is worth a look!

Good Luck.