Help with wake on LAN

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Mon Jul 2 17:43:05 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers wrote on Monday 02 July 2007:

> > Here is the issue.  If I turn on my computer and turn it off before
> > it leaves the BIOS screen (that is, before booting Fedora and
> > shutting down), I can successfully turn on the computer over wake on
> > LAN. However, if I have just shut down from Fedora, wake on LAN does
> > not work.

> I add "/sbin/ethtool -s [interface] wol g" to rc.local.

In my case (Asus board, integrated nVidia nForce NIC) I had to use some
more tricks. Fedora applies ifdown on eth0 when shutting down and it
successfully deactivates WOL. I had to activate eth0 just before power
goes down.

#!/bin/sh
# file: /sbin/halt.local
ifconfig eth0 up
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

--
bye,
Adalbert

Witch! Witch! They'll burn ya! -- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate
unknown