Windows shares on F7

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:57:54 UTC 2007

Weiner, Michael wrote:
> Fellow list readers -
>
> I am running F7 on an x86_64 box, and have an application (Pro/E) that
> i am using for some design work. My work group has a windows share
> that i need to save my work to, and was wondering what the easiest
> method is to make a samba share show up in the linux filesystem so
> that it will show up in the application?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated
> Michael
Hi Michael,

Not sure if this works for you, but on a F7 machine, when I had to
connect to one of my internal networks, I just used Places -> Connect to
sever
-> Set the service type as windows share
-> Entered the server information
-> Username / domain / etc.

And I let the system do all the figuring out bit. It sure did connect
and also saved it as a bookmark. So now the next time I connect to the
network, this link is all figured out and ready to use :-)

later,
Rogue

p.s. I know this might have sounded like a silly suggestion, but the
beauty of this abstraction model is that tomorrow the Fedora developers
could very well change the underlying protocols / libraries and I
wouldn't have to mess around with configurations, etc to get things
working! :-)