How to generate č (c-hachek) in KDE

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 3 00:11:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 14:13 -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
> I don't speak Czech, but I experimented on my keyboard. Mine is set to pc105,
> us intl (acentos) layout, both in xorg.conf and KDE Control Centre Keyboard
> Layout. You really only need the latter, but defining it in xorg.conf means
> all X programs know about the keyboard.
>
> Type AltGr-Shift->, which produces a dead hachek, then type either lower or
> upper case 'c'. Voilà! AltGr is the right Alt key. Typing AltGr-Shift-> twice
> types the hachek without a letter underneath. All the dead keys work like
> this.
>
> If you want to configure xorg.conf, this is what I have (adjust for your
> keyboard, but this is pretty generic):
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "Xleds" "1 2 3"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
>         Option      "XkbVariant" "us-acentos"
> EndSection

Just as you write.

With the "us-acentos" option, the keys :` ~ ' ": become dead keys useful
for forming (say) :à ñ á ä:.  And typing AltGr-Shift-> produces a dead
ˇ.  This is interesting to know, but it replaces one difficulty (how to
produce a haček) with a greater one (how to produce a quote, backquote
or tilde.)

Thanks - jon