rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Excalibur Xcalibur excalibur.xcalibur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:04:17 UTC 2007

Hi,
     I accidentally messed up my system while updating with yum: There was
a  power trip when yum was updating my box and I ended up with conflicting
elfutils. Now when I try fixing the problem, I wiped out elfutils and I
realized it's linked to ALL rpm commands.

"rpm: error while loading shared libraries: libelf.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory"

So basically I can't use any rpm commands or yum to install, delete or
update anything! I tried downloading elfutils-0.128.tar.gz and going through
a "./configure, make, make install" but I ended with

In file included from linux-kernel-modules.c:63:
/usr/include/fts.h:41:3: error: #error "<fts.h> cannot be used with
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS==64"
make[2]: *** [linux-kernel-modules.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/excalibur/rpmbuild/BUILD/elfutils-0.128
/libdwfl'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/excalibur/rpmbuild/BUILD/elfutils-0.128'
make: *** [all] Error 2

In a nutshell, I'm pretty screwed and I need help. :( Any suggestions on how
to fix this problem?

--
Excalibur