mc

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:26:18 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 11:26 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>> You're all on crack.  The coreutils package provides proper tools
>>> for file management (ls, cp, mv, rm, chmod, etc).  ;)
>> LOL...  But that makes you do all the work, *it's* the bloody
>> computer.
>
> In all seriousness, I am convinced that I spend less time using ls,
> mv, etc for file management than I would if I used a GUI file manager.
> Tab completion and other shell goodies help a lot with that.
>
> It's a rare occasion that I open something like Nautilus.  The trade
> off, of course, was the time I spent learning the commands.  Different
> strokes for different folks, as they say. :)
>
> I do know what you're saying about making the computer do the work.  I
> try real hard to recognize if I'm doing something boring and
> repetitive and remind myself that is what computers were meant to
> solve, not create.  Usuaully, I'm laughing at friends and family for
> letting their computers abuse them like that.

Whenever you do something repetitive with command line tools, you can
avoid it by putting the commands in a file and executing it as a script.
It is easy to make the script take parts that change in the commands as
options or prompt for them, then substitute into the correct places in
the executed commands.  With GUI tools it is a lot harder to avoid
repeated mouse or cursor motion operations that take your full attention.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com