Kernel update

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jul 4 18:41:41 UTC 2007

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:

> Hello friends,
>             How do I update to the latest kernel version and then build
> it without using YUM?I have the 2.6.21.1 <http://2.6.21.1> kernel and
> want to
>             upgrade to 2.6.21.5 <http://2.6.21.5>.

If you have a strong reason to want to have the latest kernel (like
stuff doesn't work on your machine you suspect might work on the latest
stuff), and you don't mind some risk (eg, you can be the very first
person to discover the latest kernel craps up your filesystem), you can
do this

yum --enablerepo development update kernel

Right this second that would get me 2.6.21-1.3244.fc8, you can leap even
further into the future by going here

http://mirror.hiwaay.net/pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/Fedora/

where they have kernel-2.6.22-0.5.rc7.git2.fc8.i686.rpm

Usually running development kernels on the current OS works out okay...
but in the past there have been filesystem-trashers... don't blame me if
it trashes your install.

-Andy