CNN video

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 5 03:01:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 12:24 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Just got it working as well. Here's what I did:
> 1) Temporarily disable Greasemonkey script that I use for Fox News
> 2) Tell UA Switcher to ID as Netscape 4.8 on Vista _before_ attempting
> to connect to CNN for the first time

That probably catches a few people.  It's common for a site to set some
cookie before you try doing something, and that previous cookie can be
the downfall of what you wanted to do.  In cases like that reloading a
page often won't help, as they've already decided not to support you.

> I don't think there's any guarantee it will continue to work though.
> Based on Gene's e-mail to CNN, I also ran both the main page and the
> Video page through the HTML validator at W3C. The main page generated
> 154 errors, with some of them pretty serious and even boneheaded kinds
> of mistakes. Same for the video page, which reported 74 errors.

Par for the course, unfortunately.  I'll go as far as saying that I'm
sure *most* web authors do nothing other than test that something works
on their own computer.  And, that if they had to fiddle around with
their browser to get it to work, they expect everyone else to do so,
too.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.