faint printing

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Jul 5 04:32:39 UTC 2007

Worse and worse:
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Rick Ellis wrote:
>
> > In article <20070630213225.Y38883-100000 at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>,
> > Michael Hennebry  <fedora-list at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm running FC6.
> > >Any ideas about what is going on or how I can fix it?
> >
> > An update for cups came in today. Have you installed it and
> > if so, did it help?
>
> Arrrrgg.
> I did
> yum update
> and now a2ps doesn't work either.
> If I a2ps a text file, I get postscript code
> (%!PS-...) printed on the page.
> Trying to print a pdf file, gets me blank pages.

I did a reboot and power-cycled my printer.
>From the cups error log, I found a complaint about my ppd file.
I'd made an old HWMargins line into a comment and
apparently comments no longer start with a #.
I changed that, restarted cups and voila, no printing at all.
lpc> status
PSC_1500_series:
        printer is on device 'hal' speed -1
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        3 entries
        daemon present
and no printing.
What is going on?
Gawd I hate magic.

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Horse guts never lie."  -- Cherek Bear-Shoulders