How to partition an unpartitioned space!!!

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 06:12:16 UTC 2007

Matthew Hoggan wrote:
> 1) fdisk –l is not working

What exactly is the problem? Error messages?
  'fdisk /dev/sda' should work for you.

> 2) is it bad that I did not set up a swap, and if so is there a way I
> can set it up in Linux after installation

Once the partition is created run 'mkswap /dev/sdaX' to set the
partition as swap and add the following line to /etc/fstab

  /dev/hdaX     swap              swap    defaults        0 0

Replace X with the appropriate value.

> 3) I have 150 gigs of un-partitioned space on my hard drive how do I
> partition it in Fedora so I can write to it from both linux and win2k if
> that is even possible

It's very much possible. Format the partition as fat32 partition using
'mkfs.vfat'. Keep in ming that MS Windows doesn't support fat32
partitions larger than ~37GB.
Alternatively you can keep the partition as ext3 and use 'ext2ifs' on
Windows to read and write to it. ext2ifs control panel applet can be
used to assign the partition a drive letter.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218