How to partition an unpartitioned space!!!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 5 06:55:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 22:57 -0700, Matthew Hoggan wrote:
> I now have win 2k and fedora 7 installed on the same hard drive.
> However, I have run into a few issues that I am looking for answers.
>
> 1) fdisk –l is not working

In what way doesn't it work?  What do you get back when you try to use
it?  I suspect you're not doing it as the root user, or that you just
did a "su" rather than "su -" and don't have the full root environment.

> 2) is it bad that I did not set up a swap, and if so is there a way I
> can set it up in Linux after installation

Seeing as you're still partitioning, you can make a swap partition and
add it to your fstab file.  Read "man mkswap" for starters.  An
alternative is a swap file, but I think a swap partition is still
better.

> 3) I have 150 gigs of un-partitioned space on my hard drive how do I
> partition it in Fedora so I can write to it from both linux and win2k
> if that is even possible

They can both read FAT, and it's probably the easiest middle ground
between them, but it doesn't support individual file ownership.  Fedora
can read NTFS, but I don't know how well it works at read and write.
There are add-ons for Windows that allow it to read Linux's EXT3 file
systems.  You need to work out what's most important to you.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.