nVidia 7300 GT

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:48:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 13:16 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:

> I installed F7 on my machine at home and it worked with 3D out of the
> box using the OpenSource driver.  I have a 5000 series card in it.

The open source NV driver lacks any type of 3D acceleration.
What-ever 3D you saw was done on your host CPU.

> I put the Nvidia drive in (livna) and now I have some issues but I am
> not sure where these come from yet.  Video resolution and mouse features
> changed.

FYI, the Livna driver is just RPM packaging around the 'generic'
nvidia.com close source driver.

> FWIW, Nvidia seems to suppor Linux much better than ATI has.  Heck, I
> know Windows people that tell me the same thing.

nVidia's non-Windows driver support (and BSD/Solaris) runs circles
around ATI's.
No question about it.

Never the less, it is in the community's best interest to have working,
3D-able open source drivers for nVidia hardware. (Hopefully the Nouveau
project will cover that)

- Gilboa