NetworkManager things

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 5 11:34:27 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 15:43 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Then I used chkconfig NetworkManager on and then
>> checked it:
>>
>> [root at localhost init.d]# chkconfig NetworkManager on
>> [root at localhost init.d]# ./NetworkManager status
>> NetworkManager is stopped
>>
>> This must mean that the application is still stopped BUT it will be
>> started with the next boot.  Confusing.
>>

> Not really.  The hint is in the name (check config).  You're checking or
> changing a *configuration*.  If you want to do something else, like
> start and stop the service it configures, that's something *else*.
>
> You *might* *also* want to look into the "service" command.
>
> e.g. service httpd start

    As expected the NetworManager is in the kernel after the boot. The
chkconfig filename on is a "works every time" device. For some reason if
you do it to the actual file in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ it no longer works. I
tried ./filename start and that turns it on now but only once.

    Now to take it out of this computer.

Karl