CNN video (TSI Helpdesk Ticket: 33524 (fwd))

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 19:38:16 UTC 2007

On 7/5/2007 11:08 AM, bdk at unb.ca wrote:
> How about some acknowledgement that there is a problem?

> on 7/4/2007 7:35 AM, Andrew Kelly wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 11:27 -0300, bdk at unb.ca wrote:
>>
>> resistance is futile
>> you will be assimilated
>>

> What kind of answer were you expecting?  ;-)
>
> Using the latest flash plugin and the user-agent-switcher extension, set
> to Netscape on Vista, will allow CNN videos to play.

Sure, but I seriously doubt anyone actually at CNN knows anything about
this site page or how to change it. I would think that it was designed for
them by a contractor. It was a beta site until last Saturday and
Independence Day was Wednesday. The first time I had problems with the
videos was on Tuesday evening. So it has not, this problem for Linux
users, existed for very long.

This is not the first time that I have seen something like this. I used to
use an application years ago named Junkbuster to spoof sites that would
only accept Windows browsers. My bank was one of them.

BTW it is a setting in the Linux Firefox that causes this, the way Firefox
identifies itself. The Windows Firefox, same version, works just fine.
--

  David