agp video card for linux.

lostson lostson at lostsonsvault.org
Fri Jul 6 12:18:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 20:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Konstantin Svist:
> >> I guess you haven't heard that some users are having a problem with
> >> nvidia/rhgb - their cursor is invisible :P
> >> nvidia sucks as much as ATI.
> >> By the way, the setup is pretty much the same for ATI cards as it is for
> >> nVidia.
>

> lostson:
> >  I have not heard this nor do i suffer from this.
>
> Luck of the draw.  I have a couple of NVidia cards.
>
> One won't do any 3D acceleration, with their driver, and is a fight to
> install their driver and have a working X.  The nv driver actually works
> better.
>
> The other does its fancy tricks, but the RHGB will only work sometimes
> (it's variable, with no discernable reason why), and that's no great
> loss, so I've put up with that.  And I can't hibernate the computer any
> more, it locks up trying to unhibernate.  That is a pain.  The Fedora
> answer would be:
>
> - Stop using it, does your computer unhibernate?
> - Yes, it does.
> - The fault's in the NVidia driver, stop using it.  We can't do anything
>   to fix your problem.
>
> I can well imagine the NVidia answer:
>
> - Use our driver, not the Livna one.
> - I don't want to, yours stuffs up the system in different ways.
> - You're on your own, then.  We can't support every different distro or
>   hardware combination, you change something to suit us.

  Yes I know it can be frustrating trying to get answers, but I have 3
machines here that run nvidia and have not had any problems at all. I
have been using nvidia for years. Granted a glitch or two has happened
here or there. Are these brand new top of the line nvidia cards and when
you talk about hibernate is that one a laptop ? I have a friend who has
a nvidia card in his laptop and it performs well but is very finicky
sometimes about those things as well. It would be nice to get either ATI
or nvidia to just fully go nuts with supporting their cards for linux
but I doubt we will ever see that, although I will keep my fingers
crossed. My apologies to all the ATI fans out there my "ATI sux" comment
was out of line and not in my normal character.

 LostSon