How can i make a wireless connection in the command line?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 6 13:38:19 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ed Landaveri wrote:
>
>> Does not work with my wlan  adapter eventhough I
>> configured the AP with static assignments. If I use
>> dhcp it works. This is my script that I run:
>> #!/bin/bash
>> #Wireless script
>> #Author: Ed Landaveri
>> #Date: 06/08/2007
>> iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
>> iwconfig wlan0 essid myessid
>> dhclient
>> echo $?
>>
>> Then my wlan adapter works.
>
> But I think you could put these commands in the ifcfg-* script,
> eg
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ESSID=<whatever>
> MODE=managed

One thing to be aware of when configuring a wireless connection from
the command line is that if you are using WEP with a shared key, you
may have to add the restricted option before you can connect.

iwconfig wlan0 key restricted <key>

It depends on the settings of the Access Point. My AP will not
respond to DHCP requests unless you have the shared key, and the
restricted option with the WiFi cards I have used.

Mikkel