Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:31:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 05:43 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> What is unlawful about VLC? If your expressing the Microsoft
> position I don't think it would stand up in court.
If you live in the US, you live under US patent law.  The algorithms
used to decode MPEG2 videos (which is what DVD's are) are patented in
the US (even though you can't patent algorithms, gotta love US patent
law).

VLC doesn't have a license from whatever body licenses the MPEG2
standard, therefore, even though they wrote the code themselves, the
code is in violation of US patent law (though not US copyright law).

If you think this is ridiculous, you are right, but it doesn't change
the fact that it's the current state of the law.

> I do not know what FOSS is. Sorry.
Free/Open Source Software

Jonathan