Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:47:18 UTC 2007

on 7/6/2007 9:20 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> FYI - All of the codecs are not supplied by Microsoft in Windows either.
>> Only the ones that they license for their bundled software. The Windows
>> Media Player is an example.
>>
>> Others can be added if needed or come with other media software that is
>> *bought and paid for by you*. And they can provide the codecs because they
>> pay a license fee.
>
> The question is, how many times do you have to pay for the right, for
> example, to play a dvd?

When you buy the DVD player and hook it up to your TV maybe? The
manufacturer has paid a license fee to use the codecs when he built the
DVD player to sell to you.

Or when you *buy* the software to view the DVD on your computer that works
 because the company that *sold* you the software paid a license fee to do
that.

I do not recall any DVD bragging about you being able to watch it on your
computer when using Linux as your OS? Can you watch it on your computer in
Windows or MAC OSX? Sure. When using Windows, or MAC, software with a paid
license for the codecs.

And the license that you are referring to belongs with the software that
you can not use. Which they see, as do you apparently, is of your own
choosing to not use.

This is a round-robin argument. The people that own the codecs are not
going to give them away. The people that provide Fedora to you, and me,
are not going to pay for the license, which I would think would be per DVD
ISO downloaded/sold/given away and for each and every piece of software
that could use it, and then *give* it to you for free. Nor do they want to
on policy and principal.

In other words? I don't ever see it happening until the codecs are FOSS.
And I seriously doubt that will ever happen.
--

  David