Kernel source

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:49:21 UTC 2007

Francois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to compile my own kernel, using the source available on kernel.org.
> With that new computer, where I installed Fedora7, I installed and run the
> kernel provided with Fedora, not a one of my own.
> Now I need to compile a driver for my webcam (uvcvideo), and it fails
> because of the source of the kernel not installed.
> What do I have to download to get the source ?
> I saw files like kernel-devel, kernel-doc, kernel-headers, kernel-PAE,
> kernel-xen, etc...  I'm a little bit confused.
> Another question : it seems that source should be installed
> under /usr/src/kernels/2.xxxxx, why "kernels/" ? Why not "linux", or
> linux-2.6.21xxxx

You need the kernel-headers package matching your target kernel to
build modules.  Install it via yum, I think it will pull down
kernel-devel too.  Then do the normal ./configure, make on your
module.

Other kernel-somethings are kernels with particular features
(for example, compiled to run under Xen).

--
imalone