WiFi for a laptop

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jul 6 23:16:25 UTC 2007

On 06Jul2007 16:40, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Hi Sam, if Windows is right the WAN miniport is a L2TP whatever that is.
> The CPU is Intel and can step down in speed from about 2791 MHz. Since you
> have two laptops working can you point me to any help you used? I have the
> latest kernel 3232 that has a lot of stuff in modules and I can get them to
> work if I knew how.

It's worth checking the output of the "lspci" command under linux.
For example, mine includes these lines:

  02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)
  02:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)

The bottom one is my WiFi interface.

My /etc/modprobe.conf file says (amongst other things):

  alias eth0 e1000
  alias eth1 ipw2200

which causes the command "modprobe eth1" to load the ipw2200 module.

I'd imagine the "system-config-network" command should figure this out on its
own for the common cases. How's it do for you?
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/