WiFi for a laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 7 01:49:03 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> Not really. I have no idea what's in the two laptops that I have, and
>> they work.
>>
>> The overwhelming majority of laptops have Intel Centrino chipsets
>> which -- especially in Fedora 7 -- are generally trouble-free.
>>
>> Now, if you're talking about a laptop with an AMD CPU, that's probably
>> when things begin to get dicey.
>>
> Hi Sam, if Windows is right the WAN miniport is a L2TP whatever that is.

That's just a Windows software driver. It tells you nothing about the
underlying hardware.

> The CPU is Intel and can step down in speed from about 2791 MHz. Since
> you have two laptops working can you point me to any help you used? I
> have the latest kernel 3232 that has a lot of stuff in modules and I can
> get them to work if I knew how.

I did not have to do anything special. I just had to make sure that the
ipw2200-firmware package was installed. And NetworkManager with
NetworkManager-gnome rpms, as well. Then, everything worked without further
tweaking. After the first boot, it took about a minute before my Linksys
access point joined the list of my neighbors' access points in
NetworkManager's icon, then it took a few seconds to open it up, enter my
passphrase, and I was done.

I also see that there's an ipw2100-firmware rpm, and an ipw3045-firmware in
freshrpms, which, presumably is the firmware image for different flavors of
Centrino wireless, which you may need, instead of ipw2200.