iPod mystery -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Jul 7 23:07:27 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> OK, apparently Apple doesn't want users to be able to copy stuff off
>> the device?  In this case I've swapped their computer that has their
>> itunes on it with another better box and they would like to extract
>> what they have on the iPods and put it in the "new" computer.
>>
>> There ought to be a way to extract files from the old computer and
>> put them on the new one but I am lost when I have to deal with
>> Windos and generally look for the path of least resistance.  They
>> were trying to copy from the iPod and I just continued with that
>> effort ...
>>

> For friends that are still on windows, here's the way I've done this:
>
> Plug in iPod
> Don't load iTunes, close it if it runs
> Browse to the iPod in explorer
> Enable viwing hidden files
> Browse to iPod_Control
> Copy the Music directory to the computer
> Disconnect iPod
> Start iTunes
> In the prefs, have iTunes keep the iTunes folder organized and copy
> imported tracks to the iTunes folder
> Import the Music folder you copied
>
> That works simply and without any extra software for me.  There are
> probably gotcha's with purchased music, but I don't deal with those on
> general principal.  If someone paid for music that is locked, that's
> their problem, not mine. :)

Ok, I appreciate the information and will try the things you have
suggested, both for Linux and for Windows.  Of course I always like to
show them that I can do things on my Linux boxes that they haven't been
able to do in Windows.

As for the music, I don't know where it came from but I'm certain they
have paid for a lot of it!  The stuff they listen to is not my choice
but they are my grand kids so I make an exception although it is difficult!

Thank you for the help.

Bob Goodwin