WiFi on Fedora laptops

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 10:58:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 16:33 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Erich Zigler wrote:
> >
> > I don't follow. I find once you know what chipset your wireless card
> > is wireless on Fedora is quite painless. For instance if I have a
> > Linksys WMP54GS I type in to Google...
> >
> > linux linkys wmp54gs and it pops up in the first couple pages
> > ndiswrapper and that it is a bcm43xx chipset. From the ndiswrapper
> > pages I can figure out how to setup and configure the wireless driver.
> > If I choose to dig deeper I can search for linux bcm43xx and get a lot
> > of information on this issue. In addition I can do that with any
> > wireless card. My current card is of the Atheros chipset and if I type
> > in atheros linux I get madwifi. Do a search for madwifi rpm and I get
> > livna. It's really not that difficult, just takes some research skills
> > and the ability to type.
> >
> > If using one of the madwifi kernel module packages
> > from livna or freshrpms the user should not need to know ath_pci even
> > exists. I wouldn't call it a magic word by any stretch of the
> > imagination as the rpm's insert it in to modprobe.conf for you.
> >
> > I can get my atheros card setup in 3 easy steps.
> >
> > 1. Install livna RPM to enable that repository.
> > 2. Run yum install kmod-madwifi
> > 3. Run system-network-config
> >
> > I am sorry you are having so much difficulty.
> >
> > - Erich
> >

> Sorry Erich you don't even have any knowledge of the problem.

Sorry Karl, you don't even have any knowledge of the problem either.
Erich (along with others) has given given you all the information you
need to fix your problem.

The real problem is that you do a lousy job of listening when people try
to help.  In the last week you have sent approximately 90 e-mails to
this list - approximately 6% of the total.  Most of those were requests
for help, and most of those requests were after someone had already
*tried* to help.

Is it any wonder you were accused of being a troll early on (June 15,
about a week after you joined the list)?

People on this list are trying to help you, but your constant repeated
questions, irrelevant comments and occasional rude disregard for help
are rapidly turning you into someone that most people on the list
ignore.

I'm not writing this to be rude, and I'm sorry if I've offended you, but
I want you to be able to see yourself the way that (at least some)
others on this list see you.

Jonathan