yum / rpm dependency broken in F7 ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 8 14:55:31 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Yes, with kernels too.  The old "it installed i586 instead of i686" bug
>> is quite a pain to resolve.  The usual rpm -qa kernel query gives no
>> hint which processor type kernel is installed.  You have to dig a little
>> deeper to work out why your i686 system is wanting to install an i586
>> kernel module during some update, and wanting to re-install other
>> software that's already installed (it wants a different processor
>> version of the same thing, but doesn't actually say so).

David Boles:
> uname -m
>
> man uname

I know about uname, have you seen the signature I've been using for
quite time, now?  The answer's actually a script output, not boilerplate
text.

But uname only shows the currently running kernel, it doesn't help with
installed kernels.  e.g. I installed the i686 kernel, and several
updates to it actually do update it.  But when I tried to install a
kernel module (that bloody NVidia thing), it wanted to install an i586
kernel.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.