watch youtube at full-screen on Fedora

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200707 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 18:38:08 UTC 2007

One thing that was lacking under fedora (at least under x86_64) was a
way to waste time by watching YouTube videos.  Just to make sure
Fedora users' productivity is cut down to the same level as the rest
of the world, I hacked together a small shell script to download
youtube videos and play them full screen.  enjoy!

    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/getyoutube

    # usage:
    # getyoutube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQ7dmGuAU8 [...]
    # getyoutube http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=472DE700A3CC70A4 [...]
    # getyoutube http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=openmoko [...]
    # getyoutube http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=openmoko [...]
    #
    # The "&" in the youtube URLS and anything past them is optional.
    # Freel free to not cut and paste it and save yourself the trouble of
    # having to quote the lines (since the &'s have meaning to the shell.)
    #
    # We can deal with a few types of youtube html files.
    # /watch?v=                (individual video page)
    # /view_play_list?p=       (playlist of the above files)
    # /results?search_query=   (search results)
    # /profile_videos?user=    (a user's video list)
    #
    # Requires wget(1) and mplayer(1).  Fedora users may need to install
    # the optional mplayer codecs from the livna repository.

-wolfgang