Problems with WPA2/AES and Broadcom BCM4318 (AirForce One 54g)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jul 8 21:11:44 UTC 2007

Robert Scheck wrote:
> Good evening folks,
>
> I've problems with setting up WPA2/AES at my HP Pavilion ze2000
> (EH708EA#ABD) notebook. It's running Fedora 7 with any updates
> (2.6.21-1.3228.fc7, i686 architecture). Below are the facts from the
> notebook itself and what I already tried.
>
> # lspci | grep Wireless
> 05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
> #

    OK Great you know what your hardware is.

> 05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
>         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company MX6125
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>         Latency: 64
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 3
>         Region 0: Memory at c0204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
>
> I installed ndiswrapper via "yum install ndiswrapper kmod-ndiswrapper -y"
> from Livna without any error. After that I followed the typical install
> method, because the standard bcm43xx-mac80211 kernel module driver doesn't
> work for me (I'm not able to enable the kill switch, my notebook provides).

    If I follow this your not able to use the regular Linux software
that you KNOW will work because it interfers with a kill setup? We
decided that since Fedora 7 has a nice hibernate function it can't be
used because no-one knows how to turn the computer back on?
> [...]
>
> Something from /var/log/messages:
> Jul  8 02:09:24 tux kernel: wlan0: ethernet device 00:14:a5:12:c6:d5 using NDIS driver: bcmwl5a, version: 0x3642e00, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 14E4:4318.5.conf
> Jul  8 02:09:24 tux kernel: wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
> Jul  8 02:09:24 tux kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
>
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
> # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
> # for the documentation of these parameters.
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> TYPE=Wireless
> DEVICE=wlan0
> HWADDR=00:14:xx:xx:xx:xx
> BOOTPROTO=none
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> DHCP_HOSTNAME=
> IPADDR=192.168.0.8
> DOMAIN=
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=yes
> IPV6INIT=yes
> PEERDNS=yes
> #
>
> # service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down interface wlan0:                             [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface wlan0:                               [  OK  ]
> #
>
> # cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>
> network={
>         ssid="WLAN"
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         proto=WPA2
>         pairwise=CCMP
>         group=CCMP
>         psk="[...]"
> }
> #
>
> # service wpa_supplicant restart
> Stopping wpa_supplicant:                                   [  OK  ]
> Starting wpa_supplicant:                                   [  OK  ]
> #
>
> # wpa_cli -i wlan0 get_capability pairwise
> CCMP TKIP NONE
> #
>
> # wpa_cli -i wlan0 get_capability group
> CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
> #
>
> # wpa_cli -i wlan0 get_capability key_mgmt
> WPA-PSK WPA-EAP IEEE8021X WPA-NONE NONE
> #
>
> # wpa_cli -i wlan0 get_capability proto
> RSN WPA
> #
>
> Looks like proto "WPA2" isn't supported which seems to be the reason that
> my WPA2/AES setup doesn't work. Using Windows XP the stuff works...so does
> anybody of you have an idea to get WPA2/AES working at Fedora, too?

    I don't. In fact I am not sure WPA2/AES is the proper driver for
your Hardware. How did you learn this? And what does modprobe call from
the kernel? You seem to have it in a wrapper.

    Show me that that is right and then proceed.
> Oh and WLAN without any encryption works, of course.

    Well then your all set up. Just set up your password(s).