Squid Alternative?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:58:27 UTC 2007

Devon Harding wrote:
> I'm looking for a redirector like Squid for incoming access based on
> host name.  I normally use xinet.d, but that only has a one to one
> mapping. I would like the redirector route traffic based on the host
> name of the target.

You can only do this for http, where the host name is passed in a header
from the client.  Apache can do it if you create named virtual hosts
that use the ProxyPass directive or a RewriteRule with the [P] flag to
proxy the requests to a backend server.  You'll also need a
ProxyPassReverse directive configured to fix redirects issued by the end
server.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com