Install with root filesystem on Compact Flash

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 10 01:19:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 16:57 -0700, John Wendel wrote:
> I'm building a new box and I'd like to install the root filesystem on
> a compact flash card. Not too hard. But I want / to be read-only, to
> avoid premature wear out of the flash.
>
> It seems that I need to use a "union filesystem" that will let me
> mount some writable directories (/etc, /var, ???) from another
> device.

Another avenue that you might want to explore is changing the mount
options so that nothing is written to the drive unless you intend it.
i.e. Ignoring updating "access times", etc.  That lets you keep things
writable, if you'd like to do so.

I don't think you can put /etc/ on another device.  But you definitely
can mount /var/ from another location.  /var/, /usr/, and few others can
easily be mounted from other drives just the same as they can be on
other partitions on a hard drive.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.