auto install of nvidia driver

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jul 10 06:06:26 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday July 9 2007 5:56:45 pm Claude Jones wrote:
>
>> All I do is have freshrpms repo enabled. I install the nvidia
>> driver and the dkms package from there. They just work. I've
>> done this on multiple machines. You also have to have the
>> kernel-headers package installed for your kernel -
>> once you've done that one time, regular updates take care of
>> themselves. If a new kernel is installed by an update (it will
>> also pull in the new kernel-header package), it's detected on
>> boot-up, and dkms runs its script to build the new
>> kernel-module. When the machine comes up, the nvidia driver is
>> active with the new kernel - it's just really that simple - at
>> least in my experience. I've got two FC6 boxes and two Blag
>> boxes (Fedora derivative), and this is the process I've followed
>> on all of them. I'm hoping someone with greater scripting skills
>> than I will write a similar routine for the vmware player/server
>> modules - the only thing remaining that I have to rebuild after
>> a kernel update.
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-March/msg00819.html
>>
>> ************************
>> you just chose to ignore my suggestion ;-)
>>

> by the way....
> shortly after I sent that off, I finished up a fresh install of F7 on a
> machine I'm building for someone else
> first thing I did was enable the freshrpms repo by installing their release
> package
> I then configured freshrpms for Smart, another package I first installed
> I then asked Smart to download the dkms package and the Nvidia driver for my
> card, which is an older card so I picked the .96 version which was
> appropriate
> Smart then decides that I need a new kernel, the xen kernel, and the regular
> kernel-devel  but the i586 arch - I let this go ahead, and needless to say it
> didn't work after a reboot
> I next removed the xen kernel and the i586-devel and installed the correct
> i686-devel for my installed kernel - If I remember right, that uninstalled
> the nvidia driver and dkms and I permitted that
> Then I reinstalled dkms and the nvidia driver
> Then I rebooted again, and the nvidia driver got detected and dkms built the
> kernel module, and when the machine came up, the nvidia driver was running
> Then I ran a general update which pulled in tons of packages, over 400 mb's
> worth including a new kernel
> When finished, I rebooted to get the new kernel, and again, on boot-up, dkms
> detected the new kernel and built the kernel-module for it on-the-fly, and
> when the machine came fully up, the nvidia driver was running
>
> It really does work

It most certainly will not work, and cannot possibly work for the
original poster, who most plainly wrote that is is using a non Fedora
kernel.

For those not paying attention, the latest possible kernel from updates
is:  2.6.21-1.3228.fc7

The OP said he is using a costom built 2.6.22

Therefore he cannot use any of the Fedora oriented kernel module
packages.  They all require the the kernel version to match.  There is
not now nor ever will be a kmod-anything-2.6.22 from any fedora repository.

To put just a bit finer point on it, the suggestion by, Akemi Yagi, in
this thread is spot on, and worth saving for later perusal when any of
us might like to try custom kernels strait of the press from kernel.org

I am also an OF, but I did read the Original Post. :)

Good Luck!