Installation over existing LVM

Bruno Costacurta pubmb01 at skynet.be
Tue Jul 10 11:35:15 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 11:03:31 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > However the only detected the drive is the LVM one. LVM are refused for
> > /boot The partition RAID is not detected.
>
> What do you mean by "detected"?
The RAID partition is not seen. Only the third drive using LVM is present in
Fedora installation.

> It would be easier to follow what you are saying
> if you used cut-and-paste to give the actual command you use
> and the response.
I cannot : during Fedora installation from DVD so access  / mount on my disks
yet.

> > To resume can I install Fedora-7 on LVM without /boot (because refused on
> > LVM) as I intend to create a stanza on /boot (on other disks with RAID-1)
> > ?
>
> As far as I know, you cannot boot from an LVM /boot partition.
I agree. This is the problem (or at least part of).

> Incidentally, how did you set up LVM?
> I thought one normally set up LVM on a partition, eg sda1,
> but you seem to have set it up on sda.

LVM can be setup on both. But I just re-read howtos and it seems that setting
LVM on partition (ie. /dev/sdb4) versus all disk (ie. /dev/sdb) is preferred
because can ease LVM detection by others OS.
I'll follow this remark and keep the honorable mailing list in touch :-)

Bye,
Bruno