video card driver necessary?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jul 10 17:47:56 UTC 2007

alan wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, yk wrote:
>
>> Hi,there.
>> I've been wondering the question "Is video card driver really
>> necessary for my Linux box?(quite dummy,I know)" since the very first
>> time installation of Fedora~
>> I mean,the  universal video card driver sailed with fedora is good.
>> What's more,I broke my fedora when I try to install a ATI driver once~
>> So would you guys let me know  is there *any* goodies that a video
>> card driver can do to me?
>
> It really depends on your video card.
>
> Hardware acceleration is a good thing.  If you use anything that needs
> OpenGL or any sort of 3D acceleration, then you may need to consider the
> "commercial" drivers.  (That is, if there is support for your video
> card. ATI does not support all the cards they currently sell.  Always
> check the manufacturer's site for more information.)
>
> More and more modern programs need hardware and/or 3D acceleration.  It
> used to be just games and CAD programs.  Now it is desktop environments
> like Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion-bjork-bjork-bjork, screensavers,
> animation packages, and whatever else seemed like a good idea at the time.
>
> I have used various incarnations of with and without hardware
> acceleration.  Even with the closed source driver issues, having
> hardware acceleration is far less frustrating than not having it.

My daughter can lock up my Nvidia based destop almost at will.  Xorg is
using all the processing power and if I ssh into the machine and kill
it, then all is well.

Keyboard response is gone, so no other terminal can be opened locally.
I am going to try to debug this but it never happened before putting in
the Nvidia driver from Livna.

--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.