Problem in running HP 2840 on FC6 with hplip....Desperate!!

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:03:35 UTC 2007

Hello all

I just bought a multifunction device HP 2840. I have connected it
through the network port giving it a static ip address on my private ip
subnet 192.168.2000/24 FC6 updated till date had HPlip v. 1.7.2-3.fc6
installed. When I ran hp-setup, it stated that ppd file for the printer
rot found. I assumed that the driver needed to be updated and since no
rpm file was available, I used the source file of hplip.2.7.6

Here however after install, the hp-setup program failed to launch the
graphic configuration utility & seemed to hang.

Then I used the install file & process given at
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/install/index.html Install seemed
to go well, except for two things...I could not get the rpm of
dependency pil (python imaging library) and hp-check could not detect
any scanner on the device.

Outputs of hp-check & hp-setup is attached.

The hp-setup only gives the output attached and then seems to just
wait forever.

A look in the /var/log/messages showed some kind of socket creation
problem....output filtered to get keyword python from the log is attached.

Printer runs fine on the only windows PC we have in our company. Have
not tested on Centos 5, which is the most installed OS in our company.
Just assumed that if something does not work on Fedora, it would not
work on Centos 5, as Fedora is the one that is cutting-edge.

Request please help.

With best regards and thanks in anticipation.
Sanjay.

PS: I really wonder why can't hp depute some people to keep the drivers
upto date in a form installable with yum or similar tools, especially if
the driver exists! Is it a conspiracy to sell old hardware to open
source users ;-)) It seems only old hardware installs automatically ;-(