OT: The optimal time to buy RAM

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Jul 10 21:15:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Paul Smith wrote:

> On 7/10/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
>> > When my previous computer was 4 years old, the RAM memory for it was
>> > rarely available and, when available, was expensive. Now, I have a new
>> > computer, one year old. Could someone please help me with determining
>> > the right time to buy new memory in order to buy it the cheapest
>> > possible?
>>
>> One to two weeks before you actually buy it.  The universe has an
>> automatic need detector that jacks up the price a week before you get the
>> order in.
>
> Please, read some book on economics before playing the role of an
> ignorant comedian.

As I said to my father when he called me a "msart ass", "It's the thought
that counts".

Please look up "sarcasm" while you attempt to remove the stick up your
ass.

There is usually never any "good point" for buying memory, at least until
sometime after you have bought it. (The "I should have bought it then"
realization.") It will always be cheaper some time in the future or past,
unless you are really lucky.  I have tried to stop stressing about it.

If you need memory, you need memory. The price fluctuations are not just
economic in nature for RAM, there are political issues as well.  (Who
have we pissed off or are pissed off at.)  Not to mention the various
fluctuations of manufacturers playing pricing games with their
competetors.

In realistic terms, the best time to buy is early summer when sales are
down. (But even then, there are exceptions.)

But seriously, you need to mellow out a bit and put down the Ayn Rand
before you hurt someone.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct