OT: The optimal time to buy RAM

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 10 21:57:23 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> One to two weeks before you actually buy it.  The universe has an
>>> automatic need detector that jacks up the price a week before you get the
>>> order in.
>> Please, read some book on economics before playing the role of an
>> ignorant comedian.
>>
>> Paul
>
> With all due respect Paul, I believe that is a corollary to Murphy's Law that
> has been verified many times over the last 60+ years since I first heard of
> that gentleman.

Not only that...  It is the type of question one needs a crystal ball to
answer.  First off, the OP doesn't indicate if the computer is a laptop or
desktop.  It makes a substantial difference as the form factor of laptop
memory is forever changing while a desktop's remain fairly static.

Second, since the OP brought it up, one will have to factor in things like
the rate of inflation, exchange rates, etc.  Where is Alan Greenspan when
you need him?  Not to mention that "cheap" is a relative word.  Depending on
ones disposable income, a 10% increase/decrease may not be an issue.

FWIW, I tend to simply buy the maximum RAM possible for my systems at the
time I configure them.  Why?  Because I want to maximize the systems
potential.  I would probably buy a spare as well...but not always.