a question about postifx

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Jul 11 00:11:39 UTC 2007

Scott Berry schrieb:
> Todd,
>
> I thought I was done but I found a booboo in my postfix main.cf file
> which I will attach.  I am getting error about binding to 127.0.0.1 I
> think this is when I do "service postfix restart".  Can you tell me what
> to do here I am thinking it might need to be www.pilotalk.com:25" but
> not sure.  Here is what I got out of the maillog:
>
> Jul 10 18:49:49 pilotalk postfix/postfix-script[2946]: fatal: the
> Postfix mail system is not running
> Jul 10 18:49:51 pilotalk postfix/postfix-script[2993]: starting the
> Postfix mail system
> Jul 10 18:49:51 pilotalk postfix/master[2994]: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1
> port 25: Address already in use
>
> Btw, thanks for all the help your are hot when it comes to mailman.
>
> Scott

First, when having a problem with the main configuration of Postfix,
then please do not paste nor attach the main.cf. It is both difficult to
read through and prone to typos. In all the cases print out "postconf
-n". This will make typos quickly obvious.

The problem is that already a process occupies port 25. So run "lsof -i
:25" to see what it is. Maybe it is sendmail and you forgot to do the
mail switch to have postfix in place. Btw. your configuration of postfix
(main.cf[1]) still has it set to be bound to localhost only. Don't see
precisely, just guess what you intend with the named "www.pilottalk.com:25".

[1]
$ egrep -v '^$|^#' /home/adalloz/TMP/main.cf
[...]
inet_interfaces = localhost
[...]

Alexander