cannot get glxgears working on FC7 with nvidia card

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:47:08 UTC 2007

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> Section "Extensions"
>>         #Option     "Composite" "Enable"
>> EndSection
>> Section "Extensions"
>>         #Option     "Composite" "Enable"
>> EndSection
>>
>> When gdm start, nvidia logo is displayed so I know that nvidia driver is
>> working. But when I start glxgears, I get:
>> $> glxgears
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>>
>> Can someone tell me what am I missing?
>>
>> My nvidia card is:
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
>> MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
>>
>> and the kernel I am using is 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7.
>
> Look in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for EE which should show the error.

That helped. It was telling me that GLX cannot be used with Composite
extension enabled. Well, I was assuming the by commenting out the
Composite extension in xorg.conf file I could prevent it from being
enabled. Turns out that I have to explicitly disable it in xorg.conf
file. So using
Section "Extensions"
          Option     "Composite" "Disable"
  EndSection