system mail

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Wed Jul 11 23:50:58 UTC 2007

Michael Klinosky wrote:

> I ventured into /etc, and saw that aliases is a simple text file. I
> noticed "Person who should get root's mail" at the bottom, and put in
> my username. Then, ran newaliases.
>
> I also use TB. How do I set it up to get this mail?

What I did inside Thunderbird was setup another mail server called
"movemail." initially I had to tell it it was a pop or imap server since
the movemail option doesn't (no longer?) exist from the setup options.
Next I went to the file ~/.thunderbird/*default/prefs.js and found the
section relating to the new "mailserver"  I then changed the line

user_pref("mail.server.server5.type", "pop3");

user_pref("mail.server.server5.type", "movemail");

the "server5" may be a different number.  Simply restart thunderbird and
you should be able to access the local mailbox with no problems.

Jeff