f7 update broke lots of stuff

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:19:17 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at bozemanlug.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ran yum update about an hour ago.  First update in about a week.
>
> The frames around windows is missing.  I can't move a window with the
> mouse.  I have only one desktop (workspace icon on the task bar is
> missing).  In fact, there are no buttons on the taskbar for running
> programs....
>
> Went digging around to look for stuff to help describe the problem.
> Looked in upgrade.log and found lots of packages with errors that look
> like the one below:

I could be wrong - someone help me here - but the I/O errors seem to
be caused by scrollkeeper, and may not be related to your problem.  Is
there anything strange in /var/log/yum.log?

I'm assuming you're using GNOME - do you have any other window
managers to choose from at the login screen (KDE, etc - think the menu
is 'options->select session' on the default login screen)?  If so, try
one of them and see if you can log in.

Or try creating a new user and logging in with that account - if the
problem goes away, it's probably something in one of the ~./gnome
directories.

Do you have 'desktop effects' - aka compiz - enabled by any chance?

Chris