cannot get glxgears working on FC7 with nvidia card

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 02:33:40 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 12:47 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> > That helped. It was telling me that GLX cannot be used with Composite
> > extension enabled. Well, I was assuming the by commenting out the
> > Composite extension in xorg.conf file I could prevent it from being
> > enabled. Turns out that I have to explicitly disable it in xorg.conf
> > file. So using
> > Section "Extensions"
> >           Option     "Composite" "Disable"
> >   EndSection
> >
> > worked.
>
> Hmm, I've got it explicitly enabled, and I can run it with my NVidia
> card.  I wonder if that requirement depends on which card it is?  I see
> comments in the thread that it needs disabling with the legacy driver, I
> thought mine was one of the legacy drivers.
>
> [root at bigblack ~]# lspci |grep nVidia
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4200] (rev a3)
>
> [root at bigblack ~]# rpm -qa \*nvidia\*
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx-1.0.9639-2.lvn7
> kmod-nvidia-96xx-1.0.9639-1.2.6.21_1.3228.fc7
>
> Darned if I can work out all their packaging shenanigans.  It'd be
> easier if they had one package, and it's installing routines picked the
> right driver from its contents for the job.  I noticed, too, that the
> different packages (for other cards) had different contents in other
> ways (i.e. some documentation versus none).

Composite has never been supported in the 1.0-71xx legacy driver, as
the hardware isn't capable of running it.

All the drivers ship with the README.  I'm not sure what kind of
documentation or contents you're claiming to be missing, however if
you're using Livna's packaging you should report these problems to
them.