Fedora 7 Update: vim-7.1.12-1.fc7

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 12 03:18:03 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I think your check is going to suffer other problems, like when some
>> other package supercedes something.  Not all updates are direct
>> replacements.

Don Russell:
> Ah, you mean like if "package a" is superseded by "package b", my code
> will say "package b" is not installed, and so not relevant to me.

Yes, that sort of thing.

> hmmm, is there something in the announcement that says
> "obsoletes ..."
> or something I could catch?

I've seen occasional human comments to that point, but not always.  I
remember the bruhaha when the HTML tidy program got superceded by a
plethora of KDE things, and updating tidy wanted to install all of KDE.
Grrr!!  There was no notice that would happen.  It just happens behind
the scenes when you do yum update.

> I'll adjust it as needed. In the mean time, all those messages go into
> a unique e-mail folder, and this process helps eliminate items I don't
> need, leaving me things I want to know....

I do something similar.  I siphon them off, look at what seems
interesting to me, leave the rest (unread) for me to go back and look at
if something goes haywire.

I used to read them all, as you'd also find out about things you'd not
installed, or even heard of before.  But I get far too much mail to read
everything, now.

> This process is not critical... I just like it because it eliminates a
> lot of "fluff"... I'm assuming that a nightly "yum update" would pick
> up the new package and remove the old one in your scenario. In that
> case, my code becomes "self correcting".

"yum update" would, but not everyone likes doing that automatically.  I
wouldn't want to.  You could do a nightly "yum check-update" to get just
a list, and work on that.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.